Monday, January 24, 2011

Your Me (Yes, it's Possessive!)

DAY 13 - how do you think others view you?

Some people might see me as extremely confident.  They generally feel that way because I sing and act on stage, I am often a leader, and/or because I am generally open and comfortable with my sexuality and have been for a long time.  Somehow people also got the idea that I am an excellent public speaker (which I will go ahead and tell you is not true at ALL, in my humble opinion...although that's not the question).  In middle and high school, I tended to befriend people that were older than me.  Whether a person sees one of these attributes or all of the above, they might see cockiness as well, as much as I wish it weren't true.  But I actually might think I was a little conceited sometimes if I knew me.  I usually don't take people's crap...which makes me a prime candidate for being accused of thinking I'm too good for something or that I'm judging people.

On the other hand, though, someone recently referred to me as "a public service energizer bunny."  That's obviously an exaggeration, but I know a lot of people think I am extremely generous--which I'm not sure is the opposite of conceited, so I guess people could view me as both.  They also think I am exceptionally smart.  A lot of people had this image of me in their minds in high school where I was totally motivated to do well all the time, had perfect grades, and lived this goodie-two-shoes totally straight-edge lifestyle.  People claim that I am super well-rounded and really good at everything.  My friends--not my best friends, but good ones--said they thought I was the ideal college applicant.  I think a lot of people are definitely under the impression that I achieve high.

As with most people, I'm pretty sure the spectrum is large.  A lot of people think I'm tolerant, accepting, warm, and want to be everyone's friend.  Some people say I'm distant and awkward.  They think that I'm thinking about something/someone else when I'm with them, or that I overextend myself and don't focus.  Some people could think all of these things.

Those who don't know me very well probably just see me as that girl who does a lot of things, raises money for stuff, and is most likely an activist for 239 different causes.  Other words people might use to describe me: mature, worldly, driven, plain-looking (probably would go as far as unfashionable), super lame, funny, careful, trustworthy, loud, defiant, nervous.  Depending on which friendship circle you're in, how I feel about you, what experiences we've had together.

This feels a little bit awkward, actually, but I am going to try to answer candidly.  For better or for worse, the way others view me is really not the way that I view myself-- but I guess the way that someone actually IS depends on how the outside worlds views them, not how they view themselves.  In any case, this is my best guess at what people who know me think.