Friday, January 21, 2011

Look Out Below...?

Well...I am falling very behind schedule here.  I think today was supposed to be day 19 and I have not even started writing for day 11.  I got stuck last week...and I definitely couldn't skip around, as it would mess everything up.  BUT I have changed my mind about keeping it all orderly like I had planned since I've already not written for a week...and it's hanging over my head almost like homework assignments used to!  So, abolishing all rules for this challenge that I had made for myself, in order to get going again (I still intend to eventually complete them all), I will now kill two birds with one stone.

DAY  11 and 12 - share a story from your childhood AND explain how you got one of your scars
(I chose to combine these two days in order to avoid dealing with a prompt that seems to provide an excuse to tell some dark and twisted story and also because I found no inspiration in day 11...)

In elementary school, my parents had a pretty solid group of neighborhood friends (the mothers called themselves the YaYas...) who all had kids born in the 90s; we got together all the time for holiday parties, dinners, backyard picnics, playdates, etc.  When I was in second grade, we were all hanging out at another neighbor's house (at the time, this family had daughters who were about 7, 5, and 3) playing in their yard on a new jungle gym.  The jungle gym was located at the bottom of a small hill in their backyard, and looking up we could see the house's back porch.  A friend yelled to us from the porch, so I hopped off the jungle gym swing to go talk to them from the ground and I looked up to see who was there.

Just as I did, a smooth rock the size of a potato came falling from the porch above and smacked me on the side of the face.  I didn't cry, but I was furious!  I thought somebody had thrown it at me on purpose, so, with a bleeding face, of course I ran inside to be a tattle tale.  The group of moms took a look at me, promptly freaked out a little, and then did some investigating.  Turns out it was my friend's 3-year-old sister who had dropped the rock...so I was pleased to find out that no one wanted me dead :).

This incident left me with a tiny scar right next to my left eye.  It's not too noticeable, but at the time, I felt pretty badass going to second grade with my awesome battle wound.  I am also proud to have had a pretty nice-sized rock dumped on me and not be blind/dented/cracked.  It was definitely a close one, that's for sure....

No comments:

Post a Comment