Monday, July 11, 2011

Route Week 1: Done!

For me, this week marked the REAL beginning of the summer, what I came to do here, what I'll remember when I leave. For the first time, I traveled to each of my communities and actually saw volunteers in action, gave them feedback and suggestions, dealt with their diarrhea and homesickness (I can now discuss my and others' bowel movements/other bodily functions with the same comfort and ease that I talk about what I had for dinner last night. And, don't worry, everyone is alive and well!), and was able to really start connecting with volunteers and community members. This week, I think, was even more empowering than survey.

Things that made my heart leap with joy this week:

1. Sleeping in my exceedingly awkward "portable bedroom" in random people's houses.  This is one of my least intrusive and uncomfortable set-ups of the week.  I wish I had gotten pictures of them all!


2. Seeing volunteers with their host families and partners and knowing that they are--or soon will be--closer than they ever imagined.


3. Everyone--volunteers and kids--getting SO excited about educational activities and games.  Also, volunteers working healthily together and stepping out of their comfort zones.



Of course, there are some lows: taking sick volunteers to the clinic, chasing people around to collect things and get work done, having to take responsibility for so many things, being expected to know the answers almost all the time, living out of a camping backpack (surprisingly stressful) and generally being unsure-- I'm still so new at this and every day scares me a little. But I actually think that's good (which goes without saying). And nothing can compare to the feeling of arriving in each community and being greeted with the most ginormous smiles and hugs from volunteers and community members alike who are genuinely overjoyed to see me. I love the work and I love my volunteers and I love (almost) everyone else. ;)

Today will be errands, errands, errands. Sending mail, buying volunteers' forgotten items, meeting with staff and partner agency, exchanging money at the bank, other little things. And tomorrow, we'll be off again to begin Week 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment