Monday, June 13, 2011

The Most Incredible Activity on Earth

In the past four nights, I have stayed in three different dorm-style hostels with terrible air circulation, sweat more than a horse does in a week, downed 3-4 Nalgenes of water a day and STILL peed ten times less than I do at home, and eaten more weird, salty cheese and gallo pinto than I care to think about all at once (although, I have to admit, I am a rice n' beans fanatic). Yesterday, I went to take a shower, found that there was nothing but freezing cold water and actually thought, "thank GOODNESS." No matter how many of these factors of my week may sound uncomfortable or not ideal, you can't beat $2 meals, the vibrant Latin American buildings and markets, meeting travelers from countless countries...or VOLCANO BOARDING?!?!?


After a SERIOUS, rocky and windy hike up the side of Cerro Negro--the most active of its kind (erupted in 1992, 1995 and 1999)--with "surfboard" in hand blowing us this way and that, we wiggled on our bright orange bodysuits and green goggles, a bit prematurely to protect us from the swarm of bees (?!?).  After exploring a bit, seeing the volcano's crater, and taking in the picture perfect views of the countryside from every angle, we grabbed our boards and, in turn, became extremely intimate with Nicaraguan volcanic rock.  I thought I'd be completely flipping out right before my descent, but I just did it and it was fantastic and I couldn't have been happier to have sand and tiny rocks in my hair, bra, underwear, throat, etc. for several hours after the fact.  I know this video makes it appear a bit anti-clamactic, but it was so.freaking.amazing.

Everyone in the world needs to come to Leon and board down a volcano.


No comments:

Post a Comment