Monday, October 4, 2010

Where's my Hawaiian Shirt? And my Hat?

It's been interesting showing my parents around the city for the past few days. Sometimes it's surreal to see them in my new world, where I've spent the last 7 weeks creating a life away from them, but I'm excited to have the chance to show it off. It's also been fun to do all the touristy things in Quito that I had yet to really consider: the TeleferiQo (pictured below), the Panecillo (a famous statue of the Virgin Mary--with wings--on the top of a hill, from which there is a very nice view), seeing the inside of the beautiful Basilica, etc. Although I have lived here for a while already, I rarely think to sightsee 15 minutes from my house.

And I am finally able to post pictures to the blog (for now)-- I'm on my own computer for the first time since being here because we're in a hotel with WiFi!


We had a really great view of the entire city after riding the TeleferiQo, "Quito's loftiest tourist attraction," according to my mom's guidebook, to an altitude of 4,100 meters (almost 3 miles above sea level!). You can see the actual TeleferiQo in the background on the right. Fun fact: it hailed on us while we were up there!

Tomorrow, my parents come to work with me. On Wednesday, we are off to the Galapagos! For some unexplainable reason, I can't wait to be back in the airport. Oh, yeah...and to see the marine iguanas and blue-footed boobies :).

No comments:

Post a Comment