Sunday, September 26, 2010

¡La Costa!

Enjoying Ecuador´s coast right now! Lisa, Katie and I are in a little town called Canoa, a 7-hour bus ride outside of our beloved Quito. It is like a dream-- not only because it is beautiful, virtually bus exhaust-free, and we have a $6/night hostel with an ocean view, but also because we have no door on our bathroom...a stressful sueño I´ve definitely had a few times before.

It´s so nice to just be able to relax in the sun (it´s actually warm here and it hasn´t rained!), wake up whenever I feel like it, eat meals whenever I´m hungry and not have to work around someone else´s schedule. I really like my host family, where I live, and what I do in Quito, but it´s just so fantastic to get a break from the semi-micro-managed life of a volunteer in a homestay. We´re here until Wednesday--a super long vacation! In a few days we´re going to do a day tour of an organic farm, called Rio Muchacho, here in Canoa. If it ends up looking worthwhile, I may try to volunteer there for a little when I´m done at UBECI (I have a few weeks between the end of my work and my flight home). But for now, I´ll just enjoy the breeze and the salty smell of the sea.

I swear I actually do work sometimes in Ecuador....

1 comment:

  1. Does water really swirl counterclockwise around the drain south of the Equator?

    ReplyDelete