Monday, February 28, 2011

To Remind Myself Why

Inspiration, Part I

Teacher: The biggest lesson I've learned...

Me: (expecting a pointer on some aspect of life that is probably inapplicable to me) What?

Teacher: This. (holding up two fingers, kind of like a gangster)

Me: Two... (in my mind: again, what?)

Teacher: Yes.

Me: ...what.

(pause)

Me: Oh!  The peace sign?!?

Teacher: Yes, the sign.  I walk into my classroom, hold up my two fingers, and the children are quiet right away.

Me: You do?!  I mean, really?  And it works?!

Teacher: It does. It works well!



Inspiration, Part II

Teacher: May I ask you a question?

Me: Of course!

Teacher: You are left-handed.

Me: Yes.

Teacher: How do you write so well?

Me: Umm, I mean, uh.  I just...learned to write this way when I was little.

Teacher: Is it normal in America?

Me: Yes!  I mean, it's normal, but not too common.  About 10% of Americans are left-handed.  My dad is, so maybe that's how I learned.  Does anyone here write with there left hand?

Teacher: No one in this class, no.

Me: Anyone in this country?

Teacher: My own son!  But he is three years old, and I wanted to make sure he changed hands before he learned to write.  What do you think?

Me: I love being left-handed!  I think it makes me unique and kind of special.  People notice.  It's different...in a good way.

Teacher: I wanted to change my son over, but seeing you I'm not so sure.  So you say special?  Different?

Me: Yes.  I love it.

Teacher: Okay. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. ahhh. love. this.

    (I'm left-handed. DId you know this? And, I've always sketch-ily wanted to marry a left-handed dude. But, that takes odds that have not proven to be in my favor in the FIRST place, and makes them even worse...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being comfortable with being left-handed is very important and, as I have told you for 18+ years, it is sometimes difficult but it IS very, very special! It is a bond that we 10 per centers share and it is immediately recognizable. National (International?) Left Handers Day is celebrated every year on August 13.
    I am glad you are able to see concrete results of your time in the school.
    As for the peace/quiet sign, this teacher will share it with her peers, who will share it with their peers and, before you know it, it will be a national Cameroonian phenomenon, called Caitlin's Sign. :>D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you may have changed her mind! My dad was forced to switch and he has horrible handwriting! Also i'm so glad that i stalked you on facebook so i can catch up on your life!

    ReplyDelete